Thursday 16 July 2020

It Slipped my Mind

                                                Learn English Idioms - 1 - It Slipped My Mind – Wow Lessons - YouTube

I am sure that we have all used this idiom before - "It completely slipped my mind!" In fact, I just used it a few minutes ago and this is what prompted me to write this post. I am not sure of the origins of this idiom, but according to google it first came into use in 1340 - that is a long, long time ago.

I was intrigued with the 'slip' part of the idiom and apparently it originated from a connection with when you are walking and you slip. When this happens you end up falling over. And so, when something 'falls' from your memory it was said to 'slip your mind.'

There are a number of times in the Scriptures where people forgot the Lord and allowed important things to slip their minds. Take poor Joseph as an example - "Yet the chief cupbearer did not remember Joseph, but forgot him (Genesis 40:23). The Israelites also forgot the ways of God on more than one occasion - "But they forgot the Lord their God" (1 Samuel 12:9).

I am most grateful that even though we may forget God at times, that the Lord never allows us to fall from his memory. That is incredible news for us today.

Isaiah 49:15 - "Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you."

Living in Grace
D3LM3





No comments: