Wednesday 2 December 2020

Light of the world


I realise that many of us are familiar with the traditional Christmas carols and hymns, but there are also many amazing modern Christmas songs, which I believe will be sung for years to come. Today's song comes from Lauren Daigle and is a moving prayer asking for God to break the silence and to speak to humanity. 

Lauren wrote the song in 2013 and this is what she says about the motivation behind the song:
"I was sitting there in Louisiana and Paul Mabury and Paul Duncan were in Nashville. As the writing process progressed, I was thinking about the 400 years between the Old and New Testaments in the Bible, when God was silent for 400 years. There was stillness in the world, people were searching.

I wonder how that longing was for people living then. To be honest, it kind of reminds me of today and the longing in people. As I think about those many years of silence, I think of the cry of a baby. We put these stories in a parallel position in the lyrics, connecting to our music and hoping for an ultimate connection with people, through God."

This is the gift of Advent - we are also waiting for a message or sign from the Lord. Although we may not get our own audible message, we are constantly drawn to the voice of God who calls out to us: "I see you. I know you. I love you."

These are the words of the song - I also encourage you to google her actual song. You will enjoy it.

"The world waits for a miracle
The heart longs for a little bit of hope
Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel
A child prays for peace on Earth
And she's calling out from a sea of hurt
Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel
And can you hear the angels singing
Glory to the light of the world
Glory, the light of the world is here
The drought breaks with the tears of a mother
A baby's cry is the sound of love
Come down, come down, Emmanuel
He is the song for the suffering
He is Messiah, the Prince of Peace has come
He has come, Emmanuel."
Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: