Friday 25 July 2014

Post-it-notes

Where would we be without 'Post-it-notes?' I keep many of them in my drawer at work, because I use them every time I lead a service - they are such helpful little pieces of paper! Not only do I use them to mark my place, but I usually write peoples names or various points onto them - just in case my brain decides to go into slow motion.

If you are interested in reading the story behind the Post-it-notes, then read it below - it's brilliant! But, before you do, let me ask us this question: If a 'Post-it' helps us to keep our place in a book, what would a Spiritual equivalent of this be? How do we 'mark' our place in our story with Jesus? How do we remember where we are in the bigger story, if we don't have a means of finding our place again?

One of the best ways of 'remembering' where we are in Gospel narrative is by worshipping with other believers. We remind ourselves of who we are and why God loves us. We connect with our Saviour. We pause and reflect on our role in becoming disciples of Jesus. We gather insight and strength for the journey ahead. We are challenged in our responsibility towards our neighbours.

For some more great thoughts on worship, read my friend John's blog today. It's challenging and insightful.

So as we go into the day, may we take seriously the spiritual 'post-it-notes' on our journey.

Living in Grace
D3LM3


In 1968, Dr. Spencer Silver, a scientist at 3M in the United States, developed a "low-tack", reusable, pressure-sensitive adhesive. For five years, Silver promoted his invention within 3M, both informally and through seminars, but without much success. In 1974, a colleague of his, Art Fry, in a church choir in North St. Paul, Minnesota, was frustrated that his bookmarks kept falling out of his hymnal. He had attended one of Silver's seminars, and, (I love this part) while listening to a sermon in church, he came up with the idea of using the adhesive to anchor his bookmarks to his hymnal, and the first "Post-It Notes" were born.

1 comment:

John van de Laar said...

I just picked this up now. Thanks for the link, Delme.

And what a great way to think of worship - as remembering our place in our faith journey along with our companions. Thanks for stirring some new thinking!