Sunday 31 March 2019

Standing in the Gap

Image result for standing in the gap
Today's focal image is one which some of us may have come across before. It is of a person standing in the gap, which has opened up in the protective wall of Israel. Their role is one of offering protection and help, especially where it is needed in the 'gap.'

30 “I looked for someone who might rebuild the wall of righteousness that guards the land. I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I wouldn’t have to destroy the land, but I found no one. 31 So now I will pour out my fury on them, consuming them with the fire of my anger. I will heap on their heads the full penalty for all their sins. I, the Sovereign Lord, have spoken!” - Ezekiel 22

If we take this image a little further and reflect on this in s symbolic way, what would you say represent the 'gaps' in our communities today? And then, what would the 'gaps' be in our churches, families and friendship circles? What strikes me as being very sad is that God couldn't find anyone willing to stand in the gap, which then led to damaging consequences for the entire community.

Reflection: If we are called by God to walk alongside others and to offer help, how can we effectively do this? What will standing in the gap mean for you today?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: