Thursday 25 June 2009

Benjamin Button


We watched the DVD of 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' last night - it is a really good movie, just a little long. There are all sorts of good illustrations for talks/sermons in the movie. These could range from acceptance, life, forgiveness, peer pressure, love, eternity, family and so on.

However, there is a part in the movie which recounts how Cate Blanchett loses her dancing career through an accident. It takes you through a sequence of incidents that all seem to conspire to bring Cate to the wrong place at the wrong time - this is where she gets hit by the Taxi (...if you haven't seen the movie, don't worry she survives the accident)!

Well, this got me thinking again about 'coincidence', 'fate' or the term that I prefer -'Godincidence.' God could have intervened in one of the many things that built up to the accident, but he didn't - why not? If he knew that she was going to be hit by the car, then why didn't he stop it from happening?

To be honest, I don't have the answers to this HUGE question, but upon reflection, Cate's life changes drastically after this accident. The changes that we see in her, in the movie are portrayed as being for the better - she becomes a different person and she ultimately finds love. So, one could argue that if it meant allowing the accident to happen in order to help her find her True Love, then God has my vote. I guess she may have ended up in finding Love, despite the accident, but one will never know.

As a Christian, I will never figure out all the answers to my 'WHY' questions, but I need to get to a point of trusting in God's Providence in my life. If I surrender my entire life to him, then I need to trust in His hand to guide me, even when it doesn't make sense to me. While, I often spend much of my emotional energy asking the 'WHYs' I need to comprehend that I may miss out on an answer to my deeper longings.

Perhaps part of the answer lies in this verse - "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8"28)

Struggling with the WHY...
but still Living in Grace.

D3LM3

No comments: