Wednesday 3 March 2021

What are the chances?


Today's reflection comes from Iris Gouws - thanks so much for your testimony, Iris.

Thinking back over my life - and yes, I have passed the "three score and ten" as so many of us have, it is quite amazing to look back and see how many times God has undertaken for me and changed things for the better, but also that things I had longed for became a reality in my life, perhaps not as quickly as I wanted things to happen, but looking back I can see God's timing was perfect.

I can remember as a young girl, perhaps 8 or 9 years old, standing on the beach in Natal, arm in arm with my older sister, singing choruses that we had learned in the Methodist church in Stanger during Sunday School.  There is one that I remember so clearly.


Tenderly He watches over me,
every step, every mile of the way.
Like a mother watches o'er her baby
He is with you every hour of the day.
When you're right, when you're wrong,
When you're weak, when you're strong
In your sorrow and your pain,
When you lose or when you gain.
Tenderly He watches over you,
Every step, every mile of the way.

I have to say, that in all of these experiences in my life, the words of the above song hove proven to be true.

Let me give you an example.

When I first started working, my greatest desire was to meet someone, fall in love, get married and start a family (that was the dream most young women had in those days).  I waited and waited and waited, but nothing happened. My two brothers got married, one older and one younger than me, and still no mister right.

Looking back I can now see God's hand in everything. During those years of waiting, my Father passed away. We lived on a farm some 8 kilometres from the nearest town and had to vacate the home where we had spent so many happy years. Just three months prior to his passing, my Father had completed building a house in Stanger for his retirement, so we had a home to move into. My oldest sister was asthmatic and although she was working, was not very strong. My youngest sister was in her final year at school. The responsibility fell on me to help in every way to get resettled in our new home and give my mother the support she needed at that time, although my brothers helped as much as they could, they were working in Durban.

My youngest sister finished her matric and I managed to get her work in the bank where I was working, so the family was now settled.I had tried over the years to get a transfer to Durban which should have been very easy but was never successful.

A year or two after my sister was settled in her work and able to assist with my Mother and older sister, out of the blue I was offered a transfer to Durban which I accepted. Well, that was the start of the changes in my life. Shortly after my transfer I was sent on a course from Durban to Johannesburg for a week where I met the man who was to become my husband. He was sent from Welkom in the Free State by the Mines on a course. After meeting him I told him that I was not interested as I had a friend that meant more to me than anyone, my friend was Jesus. Shortly thereafter he called me and said I have met your friend Jesus. At the age of 33 we got married and it had taken 15 years to fulfil my dream .

During this waiting period the Scripture which had been given to me on no less than 5 occasions from different sources was : Psalm 37 v 4 & 5.  "Delight thyself also in the Lord; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust in Him, and He shall bring it to pass,"

What were the chances of us meeting in the normal course of events ? I see God’s hand in this.

PRAYER:  Father God, thank you for your many blessings.  Help us to always wait for your timing in our lives which is always perfect. Amen.   

 

 

No comments: