Sunday 28 March 2021

Break my resistance



Today marks the beginning of Holy Week, which traditionally allows us to reflect on the last days of Jesus's earthly life. The following poem is extremely helpful in bringing us to a place of remembrance and spiritual stock-taking. I offer it to you and pray that the words would help all of us prepare for the greatest weekend of our Christian experience. 

"Now to the gate of my Jerusalem,
The seething holy city of my heart,
The Saviour comes. But will I welcome him?
Oh crowds of easy feelings make a start;
They raise their hands, get caught up in the singing,
And think the battle won. Too soon they’ll find
The challenge, the reversal he is bringing
Changes their tune. I know what lies behind
The surface flourish that so quickly fades;
Self-interest, and fearful guardedness,
The hardness of the heart, its barricades,
And at the core, the dreadful emptiness
Of a perverted temple. Jesus come
Break my resistance and make me your home."
- Malcolm Guite 

What things are causing resistance in my heart today?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: