Sunday 21 June 2020

Asking God for favours

Wherever God has you today, be bold in the Lord!
How many times have we asked God for certain things? Our prayers range from asking for good health, protection, a job, a partner, a sign, a child, some rest, healing, good weather, world peace and so on. But how many of us have ever prayed for these 2 things?

"O God, I beg two favours from you; let me have them before I die.

First, help me never to tell a lie.
    Second, give me neither poverty nor riches!
    Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.
For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?”
    And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name." - Proverbs 30:7-9

I think the second request is very intriguing. How do we know what is the balance between riches and poverty? That is such a grey area for many of us. However, I do love the sentiment behind this prayer, because Agur has come to realise that living on either extreme (Riches and Poverty) has the propensity to drive us away from the heart of God.

What do you think?

Mark Batterson - “Bold prayers honor God, and God honors bold prayers. God isn’t offended by your biggest dreams or boldest prayers. He is offended by anything less. If your prayers aren’t impossible to you, they are insulting to God.

Thomas a Kempis - "Oh, how great peace and quietness would he possess who should cut off all vain anxiety and place all his confidence in God."

Living in Grace

D3LM3

P.S. Image courtesy of Kelly Latta Ministries

No comments: