Friday 15 May 2020

Not as it seems

Things are not always what they seem. You can be really fooled by ...

Things are not always as they seem.
This word 'seem' very simply means 'to give the impression of being a certain way' and it can be used in all kinds of different contexts. The important thing for me, is that when I look at a particular object or scenario, it may 'seem' in a certain way to me, but I could be wrong. Let me give you a few examples:

The world may seem to be flat if I look at it from the perspective of a few hundred meters. However, when I look at it from outer space, then I realise that it is far from being flat.

The earth may seem to be stable and not moving at all. However, we know that in fact our planet is constantly moving around the sun and also rotating around it's own axis.

Lockdown may seem to be going on for eternity, but in truth it has only been 50 days!

The writer of Proverbs says it like this:

"There is a way that seems right to man, but its end is the way of death." Proverbs 14:12

In following Jesus, we can't always see the bigger picture, but I believe that it is important for us to trust in God's ways and plans. Even if things seem to a mess, we must believe in Jesus' willingness to guide us into the path of peace and righteousness.

Phaedrus - "Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many."

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: