Wednesday 8 May 2019

I don't want your vote!

Image result for vote
Can you imagine a politician using these words in their campaigning speech?: 
"I don't want to get your vote, but rather to pass on something to you that will save your life!" 
It seems far fetched, but when we read these words from Jesus we see that he was not campaigning for public support, but rather passing on the Good News to all. I am thankful to Eugene Peterson for his take on this passage:
 
“But my purpose is not to get your vote, and not to appeal to mere human testimony. I’m speaking to you this way so that you will be saved. John was a torch, blazing and bright, and you were glad enough to dance for an hour or so in his bright light. But the witness that really confirms me far exceeds John’s witness. It’s the work the Father gave me to complete. These very tasks, as I go about completing them, confirm that the Father, in fact, sent me. The Father who sent me, confirmed me. And you missed it." - John 5:34-38
 
While we are on the topic of voting, I also found this verse from the Psalms. It gives us a different perspective on government and political office.
 
Psalm 145:13 - Your kingdom is a kingdom eternal; you never get voted out of office. God always does what he says, and is gracious in everything he does. (Message)

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: