Friday 3 December 2010

Besides yourself


Under times of great emotional stress people use the phrase, "I was beside myself!" Now, at first glance this seems such a weird thing to say. How can we physically be "next to" ourselves? In truth, we can't! However, there are times when we are so stressed that it feels as if our soul and body are in two separate places.

This is where the phrase originates - ancient Greeks believed that under intense pressure a persons soul left their body and settled 'besides' themselves. Check this out if you don't believe me.

So this Advent season let's try not to be 'besides ourselves' - let us rather remember that God walks with us and that God will give us the strength we need to enjoy this festive season. I'd rather have God besides me, than my 'soul' leaving my body:)
But that's just me!

Living in Grace
D3LM3

2 comments:

David Barbour said...

Interesting - never knew that

Delme Linscott said...

Thanks David - hope you are ok?
Blessings
D