Wednesday 30 October 2019

Effort versus earning

Image result for Grace is not opposed to effort"
One of my favourite authors is Dallas Willard and I count it a wonderful privilege to have been part of a 2 day seminar he lead many years ago. It was truly inspirational. Dallas doesn't just write 'nice' thoughts down on paper - he oozes the essence of Christ so that one is changed by merely reading. This is a powerful gift to have.
Take this quote as an example - it is one of my favourites.

“Grace is not opposed to effort, it is opposed to earning. Earning is an attitude. Effort is an action. Grace, you know, does not just have to do with forgiveness of sins alone.”

This implies that I can not earn my salvation (it is by Grace alone), BUT I should put some effort into my new found relationship with Christ. The action of 'effort' is an indication of a heart that has been changed by Grace.

What do you think?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: