Monday 21 October 2019

Our contradictions

The very contradictions in my life are in some ways signs of God's mercy to me.
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/thomas-merton-quotes

Image result for Thomas Merton quote on contradiction
"The very contradictions in my life are in some ways signs of God's mercy to me." - Thomas Merton

We can be such a mix of contradictions at times.
We are full of kindness one moment and then suddenly we struggle to cope with our selfishness. Our patience levels seem to have improved and then we lose our cool in a fleeting moment. One day we feel so close to God and the next it seems a massive struggle just to read your Bible.

Perhaps Paul summed up our contradictions well when he said: "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." - Romans 7:15

Thomas Merton is onto something when he suggests that God's mercy is revealed to us through our contradictions. God could grow weary and impatient with us, but he chooses not to. God understands our struggle with sin and offers us redemption through Jesus Christ.

What 'contradictions' do you battle with at the moment?

Living in Grace
D3LM3



Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/thomas-merton-quotes

No comments: