Tuesday 9 April 2019

Turning off the Moon? - Lent 32

 Image result for Light of the moon
 Is it possible to turn off the light of the Moon?
Well, of course not!
Is it possible to turn off the stars at night?
Nope!
So, why does God say this will happen to Pharaoh?
Because it will get his attention and all other kings will shudder if this would truly happen.

Eugene Peterson adds some delightful word pictures to Ezekiel 32, making us picture God's intended punishment for Pharaoh. I can just imagine the collective gasp as the Moonlight suddenly vanished (almost like load-shedding in South Africa) OR the twinkling stars blinking a few times and then they are no more. It would get our attention no doubt!


 When I blot you out,
    I’ll pull the curtain on the skies
    and shut out the stars.
I’ll throw a cloud across the sun
    and turn off the moonlight.
I’ll turn out every light in the sky above you
    and put your land in the dark.
        Decree of God, the Master.
I’ll shake up everyone worldwide
    when I take you off captive to strange and far-off countries.
I’ll shock people with you.
    Kings will take one look and shudder.
I’ll shake my sword
    and they’ll shake in their boots.
On the day you crash, they’ll tremble,
    thinking, “That could be me!”


Sometimes God allows certain things to happen so that we awake from our slumber. We may even say, "that could be me!" All of this is done so that we come to our senses and return to the grace of God.

Thought:
Despite the heavy undertone in Ezekiel, do you sense that God is drawing you back to himself?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: