Thursday 11 April 2019

Shepherds beware! - Ezekiel 34

Image result for Good shepherd
Ever wondered where the image of the Good Shepherd came from?
Sure, we  have heard Jesus speak about this in John 10, and the image of the Shepherd is well-known in Psalm 23, but Ezekiel's words are the basis of Jesus' heart for the lost sheep. Read these words and see the correlation with the words of Christ:

11 “For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search and find my sheep. 12 I will be like a shepherd looking for his scattered flock. I will find my sheep and rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on that dark and cloudy day. 13 I will bring them back home to their own land of Israel from among the peoples and nations. I will feed them on the mountains of Israel and by the rivers and in all the places where people live. 14 Yes, I will give them good pastureland on the high hills of Israel. There they will lie down in pleasant places and feed in the lush pastures of the hills. 15 I myself will tend my sheep and give them a place to lie down in peace, says the Sovereign Lord. 16 I will search for my lost ones who strayed away, and I will bring them safely home again. I will bandage the injured and strengthen the weak. But I will destroy those who are fat and powerful. I will feed them, yes—feed them justice! (Ezekiel 34)

What is startling is that these words come in response to the lack of leadership and care shown by the 'spiritual shepherds' in Ezekiel's time. These shepherds were more interested in lining their pockets and winning public praise. The warning and rebuke in this chapter is reserved entirely for these negligent leaders. God will hold them to an account. 

 “Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, you abandoned my flock and left them to be attacked by every wild animal. And though you were my shepherds, you didn’t search for my sheep when they were lost. You took care of yourselves and left the sheep to starve. Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord. 10 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I now consider these shepherds my enemies, and I will hold them responsible for what has happened to my flock. I will take away their right to feed the flock, and I will stop them from feeding themselves. I will rescue my flock from their mouths; the sheep will no longer be their prey.

As a 'shepherd' myself I take these words seriously and realise that there will be a time when I will need to give account for my role as a pastor. I also believe that there are many 'shepherds' who are in danger of feeling the wrath of God for some of their actions. Shepherds also need to beware! 

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: