Monday 28 January 2019

Unless


Image result for unless
I was listening to a devotion from Our Daily Bread this morning, when I was struck by a word in the Scripture reading. In fact, the word was unrelated to the overall theme of the devotion, but it stopped me in my tracks. It was the word UNLESS.

¨       Psalm 94:17 - Unless the Lord had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death.

In my spirit I felt a nudge from the Lord and so I dwelt on this word for a little while.What could this word mean for me today?

Unless I train for the marathon I won’t make the distance?!.
Unless I where a hat in the sun, my head will get sun burnt!
Unless I leave time for the bad traffic, I am going to arrive late to my appointment.

Of course, these are quite frivolous things in some ways, but there are a lot of very important things to also consider:

Unless …. I spend time in the WORD, I am going to lose touch with Jesus
Unless …. I fellowship regularly, I will lose touch with God’s people
Unless….. I spend time with my family, we will all grow apart
UNLESS …. (you fill in the gap for you)

There are a few other times that the Bible contains this word 'Unless.' Take a look at these two examples and see if there is anything for you in these verses.
 
Psalm 127:1 - Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.

¨        John 15:4 - Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

May the Lord helps us reflect on this word for us today.
Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: