Monday 8 November 2010

"If only" God?

Is God an "if only" kind of God?

If only we behave, God will love us?
If only we don't sin, God will smile upon us?

Scriptures like 2 Chronicles 7:14 allude to this sentiment, but where does this leave us? I can never do enough to win God's approval, so all of my "if only" attempts will always fall short of God's measurements. Or does it imply that God wants to see us try our best, at the very least?

I am not 100% sure...I guess that's why I love Romans 5:8 so much - it takes away my efforts and highlights the grace of Jesus.

What are you thinking?

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

P.S. I have intentionally left out the Scripture verses today, hoping that you will look them up. If you are rushing through this post then simply go to www.biblegateway.com - they will help you with the verses.

3 comments:

Anne-Lise said...

We're currently watching "The Sinai Code" at our Bible Study - the pastor reflects on how God first had a relationship with the Jews and then issued His 10 Commandments BECASUE of the relationship, as confirmation of the relationship not as a measure to see whether His people met His standard - so God is not a GOd who says "if only you are good enough you may enter into a relationship with me". The Jews had a relationship with God before they even knew whether what they were doing was right or wrong in His sight. It's worth a watch as there are some powerful insights there. We are also loved first and there is nothing we need to do / get in order before coming to God - allow Him access first and the rest will begin to fall into place as we respond in gratitude to all He has done for us. At the end of the day it is about RELATIONSHIP, at least that's how I see it.

Delme Linscott said...

Awesome thought Anne-Lise. I would love to see that DVD. Who is it by?
Have a great day.
Delme

Unknown said...

Thanks Delme, was just wanted I needed to read. Thanks for the blessings of your messages. Really do inspire us all and help us keep our focus where it should be.