Sunday 25 October 2020

Is the end better than the beginning?


"The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
and patience is better than pride.
Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit,
for anger resides in the lap of fools."
- Ecclesiastes 7:8-9

I am not sure if it is appropriate for me to argue with Solomon - after all, he was the King of Israel and the writer of some amazing books. BUT....

... I don't think that the 'end of the matter' is always better than the beginning!

I guess it does depend on the context, but I have seen some situations where things have begun incredibly well, but then ended up badly. A good start doesn't always equate to a successful ending.

One Biblical commentator has suggested that the reason why Solomon argues his point is that anyone can dream of something, but it takes a person of discipline to finish a project or vision. Now, if that is the context of what he is saying, then I am happy to agree with him. What do you think?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: