Wednesday 21 October 2020

Better than


Using a tried and tested technique, Solomon reveals his next diatribe of wisdom. He compares two different elements/things in order to get our attention. The truth is discovered as we reflect on what he is comparing.

 "A good name is better than fine perfume..." - Ecclesiastes 7:1

"It is better to heed the rebuke of a wise person than to listen to the song of fools." - Ecclesiastes 7:5

What do you make of his words today? Why would he say that a good name is better than perfume? Any guesses?

“Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls:
Who steals my purse steals trash; ’tis something, nothing;
’twas mine, ’tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed.”
― William Shakespeare

Living in Grace

D3LM3

No comments: