Sunday 12 April 2015

Heart rings

One can tell the age of a tree by the number of rings that it has on it - obviously you can only see these after it has been cut down. I was privileged enough to see a tree that looked 150 years old yesterday. The stump of the tree was impressive and I could imagine how stately the tree looked in it's prime. I am not sure what caused the tree to be chopped down - old age or progress, but what remains is the proof of the age.

It got me thinking about our spiritual hearts and whether there are "marks" or "rings" that appear for every year we follow Jesus. I know that every year we get older we show signs of wrinkles, hair loss, and other wear and tear, but what about our Spiritual core?

For me, the fact of the matter is this: When we pass away their will be signs of our physical age - albeit if we are young or old. But these signs don't count towards our Eternal lives at all. Jesus spoke about us all being "Born again" or "Born anew" in John 3 - these are the years that will count in the long run. These are the "rings" that God looks for when we meet him face to face. Well, that's what I believe in any case.

1 Peter 1:23 - "For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God."

What are your thoughts?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: