Friday 24 April 2015

God, make haste!


"God, come to my assistance. 
Lord, make haste to help me.
Assist me in my quest to find you, God, in the midst of the noisiness of life. 
Make haste to help me find silence, Lord, so that, like Elijah on the mountain, 
I may discern your still small voice therein." -
John Cassian

How often do we find ourselves praying - "Lord, hurry up!?" We want the Lord to make haste because we feel that our prayers aren't being answered or that God is taking to long to respond to our needs.

I am not the most patient of people (as my family will tell you), but often God expects me to wait for things - it is in the waiting that God reveals more of who He is and God reminds me of who I am.

So next time you are praying to the Lord this prayer: "Lord, make haste!" perhaps you may need to rather be praying, "Lord, show me your plan and will in this time of waiting!"

The two prayers are very different, but we have to rely on the wisdom of God.

Psalm 70:1 - Hasten, O God, to save me; come quickly, Lord, to help me.

"Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." -Soren Kierkegaard

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: