Wednesday, 8 May 2013
In our Christian tradition we celebrate Ascension Day on the 9th May 2013 - this is 40 days after the Resurrection of Jesus. Even though we don't have it as an official Public Holiday any more, Christians should still remember this day as a 'Holy' day. It is a profound day in many ways:
1. It marks the end of Jesus' physical time on earth.
2. We are reminded that he returned to the Father, where he now prays for us.
3. It was an event that released the ministry of the Gospel to the disciples - Jesus passed on the baton to them, which in turn has been passed onto us.
4. It signifies preparation for Pentecost (10 days later), when the Spirit was poured out upon the whole church.
5. It marks the beginning of His reign as the King of Glory.
"The ascension of Elijah may be compared to the flight of a bird, which none can follow; the ascension of Christ is, as it were, a bridge between earth and heaven, laid down for all who are drawn to Him by His earthly existence." - Baumgarten.
May you experience the blessing of our King of Glory.
Living in Grace