Sunday 26 May 2013

What is Synod?

In case you have been wondering if I was away on leave, I have actually been at our annual church Synod. For my sins, in 2012 I was elected as the secretary of the Natal West District, and so I had the privilege of working alongside many people in leading this years event. It was held at the Seth Mokitimi Methodist Seminary in PMB and lasted 3 days. This year our Bishop, Sandy Dickie led our 200 delegates through a truly encouraging gathering and for a change, I left Synod feeling uplifted and a sense of deeper connection with our broader church community.

Many people are unfamiliar with the name "Synod", but it simply means a conference or gathering of Believers. We don't use the word conference, because the Methodist Church of Southern Africa (MCSA) has an Annual Conference that meets in September. That event brings together delegates from all the provincial Synods - running a big organization can be a huge undertaking and this seems to be the easiest way to work things out.

I thank God for the presence of his Spirit during our gathering. God is good!

I look forward to getting back into my blogging routine again soon.

May god bless you.
Living in grace
D3LM3

No comments: