Monday 9 October 2023

A prayer for the beginning of a new week


Basil of Caesarea, had a huge influence on the monastic movement of the early church and was a strong defender of Orthodoxy in our faith. Soon after his death in 379, he was declared a saint. He wrote extensively and many of his works remain. Here is a particular prayer that he penned, and I think it would be meaningful for us all (I have changed a few words to update the English :)

"O Lord our God, teach us, (we beg of you),to ask you for appropriate blessings.
Please steer the vessel of our life towards yourself,
the tranquil haven of all storm-tossed souls.
Show us the course that we should go.
Renew a willing spirit within us.
Let your Spirit curb our wayward senses,
and guide and enable us toward that which is for our true good,
to keep your laws, and in all our works evermore to rejoice
in your glorious and gladdening presence.
For thine is the glory and the praise for ever more. Amen."


Psalm 51:9-11 - Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.
Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.

Living in grace

D3LM3


No comments: