Monday 20 February 2023

No short cuts and quick fixes


We have embarked upon a new preaching series called: "A path to Spiritual growth" and it is based on the book Celebration of Discipline, which was authored by Richard Foster. In preparing for these messages, I have been struck again by this hard truth: There are no short cuts or quick fixes in choosing to be a disciple of Jesus. We have to be willing to sign up for the long-haul. 

In this book, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society, Eugene Peterson shares around this similar theme, reminding me that my growth may be a little slower than I truly hope for, but I must be willing to submit to this long obedience in the same direction. 

 “And yet I decide, every day, to set aside what I can do best and attempt what I do very clumsily--open myself to the frustrations and failures of loving, daring to believe that failing in love is better than succeeding in pride.”

“There is a great market for religious experience in our world; there is little enthusiasm for the patient acquisition of virtue, little inclination to sign up for a long apprenticeship in what earlier generations of Christians called holiness.”

2 John 1:6 - "And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love."

Living in Grace

D3LM3 

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Lately I try to discover the positive side of live. When you are thankfull for your kids, health, nice people walking on your path, looking out to help another , smile, give a compliment, listening to the early birds ,.... gives me breathing space and a clear head . And can also feel God's presence more. So I don't think it has al to do with discipline but with opening our heart every morning and be gratefull every day. That maybe is a discipline on it self.

Delme Linscott said...

That sounds like a very positive way to look at things. Blessings.