Thursday 2 February 2023

Count it pure joy

James 1:2-3 — Daily Wisdom for Sunday, June 6, 2010

How is it possible to give thanks for difficult circumstances and trials? 

There are a few passages in the Bible that remind us to do so, but this is something I am still working on. I don't enjoy trials - I don't seek out suffering. However, they still come to us, no matter how much we seek to avoid them. So, how do we embrace them?

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn spent a long time in prison for his beliefs and when he was released, he was able to say: “Bless you prison, bless you for being in my life. For there, lying upon the rotting prison straw, I came to realize that the object of life is not prosperity as we are made to believe, but the maturity of the human soul.”

Is this what James meant, when he wrote?

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." - James 1:2-3

Living in Grace

D3LM3

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Every morning I dial in with God . Asking to keep my love ones save and bless them. I don't have an easy live but putting my trust in God keeps me save . He leads good people on my path. What I have to do is to recognise them. In moments of hardship and grieve I pray to the Lord and ask for wisdom and strength. But I have to pay attention. Walking again on the path of the Lord with Jezus as my guide has helpt me to endure hardship .

Delme Linscott said...

Thanks for the thoughts Caroline. It is a very good practise that you have going there - keep going and may the Lord bless you. Delme