Wednesday 14 September 2022

Never failing compassion


"Because of the LORD's great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion; therefore, I will wait for him.” - Lamentations 3:22-24 (NIV)

As I read these words today a few things stand out for me.

What does 'consumed' mean for us in today's language? I found the Living Bible offers more clarity for me: "It is only the Lord’s mercies that have kept us from complete destruction." (v.22)

And how can the word 'portion' speak into our lives? Well, that word can also be read as 'inheritance' - so, what the writer is suggesting is that God himself will be our reward for faithfully following his ways. In this world, we can possibly expect to leave a material inheritance for our families, but can you imagine if we could leave 'God' as the eternal gift?

Eugene Peterson writes:

God’s loyal love couldn’t have run out,
    his merciful love couldn’t have dried up.
They’re created new every morning.
    How great your faithfulness!
I’m sticking with God (I say it over and over).
    He’s all I’ve got left.

Living in Grace

D3LM3

No comments: