Monday 30 March 2020

Who could Stand?

 Gospel Friday: If God Marked Iniquity, Who Could Stand? - From One ...
As many of us have already noticed there are a myriad of opinions on Covid-19 at the moment and some Christians have added their weight behind God punishing the world for her sins. I will not make any comments on this, except to point out what the lectionary Psalm for this week says:

"If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
    Lord, who could stand?

But with you there is forgiveness,    so that we can, with reverence, serve you." - Psalm 130:3-4

I see this as a clear reminder that if God was in the business of recording my sins, then I would be first in line to receive eternal punishment. And dare I say, you could be standing in the same line with me. Not one of us would stand as being innocent.

However, the Psalmist is quick to point out that with God there is FORGIVENESS and this is the best gift of all. In our season of Lent we should hear the joyful song that offers to fill our hearts with Hope and Awe - "I am a sinner who receives God's amazing grace!" 

From this acknowledgement of Mercy I then choose to live a life of reverence and service to my Saviour.

Question: Does this following verse sound like a God who would delight in destroying people?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." - John 3:16-17

Prayer: Lord, keep me from pronouncing judgement on other people, lest I implicate myself in these charges. Guide us as we seek to offer your Love and Hope to those who have forgotten you or who are searching for redemption. Amen.


Living in Grace
D3LM3 


"If you, God, kept records on wrongdoings,
    who would stand a chance?
As it turns out, forgiveness is your habit,
    and that’s why you’re worshiped." - The Message

No comments: