Tuesday 13 February 2024

A season of reflecting


As we begin a season of reflection, fasting, listening and praying, it is good to remind ourselves why observing Lent is a helpful practice. Of course, it is not something that we have to do, but I always find deep value in marking this period with intentionality. 

For those who argue we don't need to observe Lent, I simply respond by suggesting that focused prayer, fasting, scripture reading and meditation, are all biblical practices that help us to commune with our Lord. Whether we do it in this season of the year or later on, it doesn't really matter. However, in my experience, Lent is a precious time that prepares my heart for the life-changing message of the Cross and Resurrection. 

"Lent is a call to renew a commitment grown dull, perhaps, by a life more marked by routine than by reflection." – Joan Chittister

"The real question of the Lenten season is how will I clear out the junk and garbage in my life so that I can be restored to God in some fresh way? What are the disciplines that will open up space for God to create a clean heart and new spirit in me?" - Ruth Haley Barton.

"Search for the Lord and for his strength; continually seek him." - 1 Chronicles 16:11

May this Lenten season be a period of renewal, grace and a deepening of your faith.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: