Saturday 25 March 2023

Acquaintance or friend?


One of the very first things that occur through this learn­ing process is that acquain­tance­ship with God gives way to friend­ship with God.” - Richard Foster

How would you define the difference between an acquaintance and a friend? Would it be time spent together? Depth of conversation and stories shared? Trust and understanding? Having similar interests? Enjoying each other's company? 

When Jesus invites us to be his friends doesn't this make us different in some way? I can imagine being an acquaintance of God, because God has billions of people desperate to speak to him and know him. However, the idea of being a friend of God is hard to comprehend. It is beautiful, but still hard to grasp.

Richard Foster puts forward the idea that the more we journey with Christ (the path of discipleship), so this relationship transforms from one of casual acquaintance to deep friendship.

I know which one I would rather have - how about you? 

John 15:15 - "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."

Living in Grace

D3LM3

No comments: