Thursday 10 February 2022

Today I tried to run the world...and I failed!


This piece of writing is so spot on for many of us. It hit me straight in the heart and I pray that God speaks to you as much as I felt him speaking to me. I am grateful to the book 'Souvenirs of Solitude' by Brennan Manning for this gift. 

"Lord, today I tried to run the world singlehandedly,
I tried so hard, Lord,
to take care of everything.
I took upon myself
all of the problems,
all the burdens,
all the worries of everyone who makes up my little world.
I tried so hard, Lord, and I accomplished nothing.
I'm frustrated,
frazzled,
and exhausted to the point of tears.
Nothing seemed to go right.

Lord, will I never learn
that you're the one
who runs everything?
That you're the one
who knows all the answers?
That you're the only one
who can carry
the intolerable burdens
we try to shoulder for ourselves?
That you're the only one
who can solve
the insoluble problems?

That you're the only one
who accomplishes anything of worth?
That everything depends on you?

Lord, sometimes I wonder why
you bother to put up with me.
Sometimes I wonder
if you're not sorely tempted
to take me by the shoulders 
and shake me until my teeth rattle.
I couldn't blame you if you did.

Thank you Lord,
for putting up with me today.

And thank you, Lord,
for doing things YOUR way!" - Brennan Manning.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: