Thursday 1 July 2021

Why not me?


When Christopher Reeve was thrown from his horse and broke his neck in 1995, many people wondered how such a tragedy could befall a famous actor like him. Christopher response was something along the lines of "why not me?" His point was that anyone can suffer. Suffering is not reserved only for the poor, the outcast, the sinner. Everyone suffers at some point in our lives.

This point was driven home to me when reading through Mark 5. Suffering is universal – rich and poor encounter it. Just because we have social status like Jairus (the leader of the Synagogue) doesn’t preclude us from suffering. 

This is the one thing that Covid has also shown us. People from all walks of life have suffered and even died – doctors, lawyers, teachers, pastors, clerks, the homeless etc.

It is interesting that we somehow think that the rich don’t encounter trials and difficulties – but we are wrong. We were watching the movie about the life of Steve Jobs the other evening –he was the founder of Apple. This is what he said towards the end of his life, as he was dying of Cancer.

Steve Jobs - “At this moment, lying on the bed, sick and remembering all my life, I realize that all my recognition and wealth that I have is meaningless in the face of imminent death… In other eyes, my life is the essence of success, but aside from work, I have a little joy.”

As we go through our own periods of trials and testing let us remember we are not alone. Others can relate to us and certainly God is with us. 

Mark 5:22-23 - Then one of the synagogue leaders, named Jairus, came, and when he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet. He pleaded earnestly with him, “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.”  So Jesus went with him.

Living in Grace

D3LM3


No comments: