Saturday 30 January 2021

A dangerous prayer


I feel that the Covenant Prayer is arguably one the most challenging and dangerous prayers we could ever pray. Born out of the Wesleyan revivals in England, this prayer has been adopted in most Methodist communities around the globe. It is a prayer that we should never 'just' pray, but we should seriously reflect on the words and only when we are ready should we speak the words. 

Of course, this is not just a prayer for people who align themselves with the Methodist tradition - any believer can pray these words. After all, this Covenant prayer is a prayer of recommitment and surrender to the ways of Jesus.

I am no longer my own, but yours.
Put me to do what you will,
rank me with whom you will:
Put me to doing, put me to suffering:
Let me be employed for you or laid aside for you,
exalted for you or brought low for you:
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours. So be it.
And the Covenant now made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven. AMEN

Living in Grace

D3LM3



No comments: