Friday 25 September 2020

War and Peace


 "...a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace." - Ecclesiastes 3:8

I am often tempted to only read Ecclesiastes 3 from my personal point of view. However, when I do this I come to readings like v.8 and then get stumped. I think to myself, "I haven't waged war on anyone and I don't really want to hate anyone." Of course, we can interpret Solomon's words in a way of being at peace/war with our friends, family or community - and there are plenty of opportunities for us to experience both extremes in one lifetime.

On the other hand, Solomon reminds us that war, peace, love and hate will all occur at some point in our lifetime. We may not choose these options or even have control over them, but when you have lived long enough, you recognise these things have taken place. If I think back over my life, I have witnessed all of these at some point - not all on a personal level, but globally and in our own country. 

Seasons come and go with our consent and without it. I believe my role is to submit to the Lordship of Jesus and to trust that God will guide me through all the seasons and times I have to face. Without God in my life I would be overwhelmed with a sense of hopelessness, especially when things happen around me.

Does that make any sense to you?

"“We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.” - Leo Tolstoy (War  and Peace)

Living in Grace

D3LM3

No comments: