Saturday 20 July 2019

Compare and despair

Image result for Compare and despair
I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalm 139

It is a natural thing for us to compare ourselves with other people, but it is not a good thing. When we fall into that trap, we are subtly denying who we were created to be, suggesting that God made a mistake. If I want to be more like you, then in order to be like you, I will have to let go of who I am. As James Martin SJ. suggests, when we compare we are lead to despair.

Of course, I am not suggesting that I am perfect as I am, and don't need changing or need to be inspired by others - of course I do. However, if I am going to desire to become more like someone else, then let that person be JESUS CHRIST. In striving to become more like Jesus, God graciously transforms me into the person he created me to be.

Oh the mystery of it all!

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: