Thursday 16 November 2017

Courage is not the absence of fear

"Courage is not the absence of fear; it is acting in spite of it!" - Mark Twain is thought to have written these words, which have in turn inspired millions of ordinary people to do amazing things. This quote has meant a lot to me over the years, because I often feel as if I am fighting 'real' fears in my mind.

Take this blog as an example - the first time I began to pen some words, which I knew would be open for public scrutiny, I felt my heart pounding and I nearly didn't get passed the first entry. Well, over 2400 posts later, I am still grateful that God prompted me to deal with my 'fear' and to continue in his strength.

The other relevant example is of publishing my first book. I remember having a real wrestling match with myself, agonising over the writing of Living Oceans Apart. In the end, God gave me a specific scripture verse to help me overcome my initial fear, but I still needed to trust in his promptings. Again, I am thankful that God gave me those initial doses of courage, as it has given me the confidence to carry on writing and countless other blessings.

So, here is the challenge for us all. What are you afraid of at the moment? Is God moving you into a particular place or direction and you are feeling fearful? Ask God to give you his courage and the ability to take a step in faith. You may still feel a little afraid, but the presence of Christ will give you the extra courage you need to proceed. Go in Jesus name!

Living in Grace
D3LM3

Thank you so much for all the kind words and support for my latest book 'Living in Grace', which is a collection of daily devotions. If you would like a copy please go to the website to order or get them from the Church office. God Bless you.

No comments: