Tuesday 12 July 2016

I can't see

"You cannot put straight in others what is warped in yourself." - Athanasius

We find it so much easier to point out the defects in other people, yet we are so slow to see the problems in ourselves. Jesus is spot on when he makes this comment in Matthew 7:

“And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye.

This is such a challenging scripture, but it is very true. I do think that we must still keep people accountable in their Faith journey, but we need to do this with humility and gentleness. I may need people to tell me when I go off the path, even if they aren't perfect themselves. In my experience, it is easier to heed correction when it comes from a person who is willing to admit their own shortcomings.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: