Tuesday 13 May 2014

Sidelined

The definition of the word 'sidelined' can be: "to remove from the centre of activity or attention; place in a less influential position." We use this term often in sports jargon, when we speak of a player being sidelined, either because of injury or perhaps not performing so well. We can also use this word to describe how people treat us - we can feel sidelined or removed from their attention. We will all experience being 'sidelined' at some stage in our friendships or communities.

But, how about when we choose to sideline God from our lives? What happens when we 'remove God from the centre of our attention?' Or as the definition implies - we place God in a less influential position? The sad thing is that we end up doing this without even realising that we are doing it. We get busy, we get distracted, we get anxious, we get caught up in other things - and the end result is that suddenly God finds himself removed from our attention.

This happened to King David in a dramatic way. In his prosperity and fame, he took his eyes off the Lord and sidelined him. The end result was tragic - lives were lost and relationships destroyed. David's story serves as a clear reminder that we must avoid sidelining our Lord.

Pray this prayer today:
Lord, forgive me for sidelining you so easily. I don't mean to do this, but the stresses of my life consume me and soon I find that my eyes have been removed from you. You are the One that I need at all times, so please keep reminding me to look to you. Amen.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: