Wednesday 6 January 2010

Invictus


I had the privilege of watching Invictus last night and it was a great movie. It made me feel proud to be a South African and to see how far we have come as a nation. However, it is also clear that we have far to go.

This is the poem quoted by Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman) in the Movie:

"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."
- William Ernest Henley

It is a stirring poem indeed. There is just one thing I would change -
Jesus is the Captain of my Soul!

What about you?

Living in Victory,
D3LM3

No comments: