Monday 21 August 2023

Suffering is not optional


“Dear Child of God, I am sorry to say that suffering is not optional.” - Desmond Tutu

We started our preaching series on the book of Job this weekend and the quote from Desmond Tutu (above) has lived with me throughout this week. For a long time, I believed that when I experienced some kind of suffering, that it was because of something I had done wrong, and that God was punishing me. 

Thankfully, I see God in a different light now, but there are still many people who think (mistakenly) that their suffering is caused by some defect in their spiritual lives. I feel this is not what God wants from us - this is dangerous theology. Suffering is universal and it is God who helps us get through these moments of pain and trial. 

Paul says something interesting in Philippians. He states: "I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead." (3:10-11)

What would this mean for us? Let me know what you are thinking, please. 

As we continue through this preaching series, I am sure I will share a few more thoughts on Job and suffering. Remember, that if you would like to listen to the sermon, you can click on this link.

Living in Grace

D3LM3

No comments: