Wednesday 8 September 2021

What hinders our relationship with Christ?


There are so many devout Christ-followers that we know so little about. One of the 13th century mystics, Mechthild of Magdeburg, wrote passionately concerning her love for Jesus. She desired to truly follow Christ and to eliminate all things that came between her and God.

"What hinders spiritual people most of all from complete perfection is that they pay so little attention to small sins. I tell you in truth: When I hold back a smile which would harm no one, or have a sourness in my heart which I tell to no one ... then my soul becomes so dark ... and my heart so cold that I must weep greatly."

This is an interesting take on our attitude to 'sins.' So often, we as Christians, like to focus on the bigger sins of others and forget the 'little sins' that trip us up on a daily basis.

Matthew 7:1-5 - “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Living in Grace

D3LM3



No comments: