Monday 14 May 2018

Old habits die hard

There is a saying that says "old habits die hard", implying that it is often very difficult to change our old habits. This can be very true in certain circumstances and if we want to change these habits, we need to put measures in place to change our behaviour. What do I mean by this? Well let me give you an example from everyday life...

...living in the midst of a water crisis in the Western Cape has taught us to preserve water and to come up with creative ways of reducing consumption. The old habit of flushing the toilet after every visit has had to change and this took time to put into practise. It wasn't easy at first, because when you have flushed the loo for years and years, you take it for granted that you can simply do the same in a new home. In order to help us all remember, we ended up turning the water supply off at the wall, which immediately helped us 'remember' to get water from the shower instead.

So, here is the big question: When we have other habits that impact upon our relationship with Jesus, what measures are we willing to put into place in order to make things better? I feel that if we don't make conscious plans then our old habits will continue to distract us from true worship of Jesus.

Isaiah 65:17-19 - “Pay close attention now: I’m creating new heavens and a new earth. All the earlier troubles, chaos, and pain are things of the past, to be forgotten. Look ahead with joy. Anticipate what I’m creating: I’ll create Jerusalem as sheer joy, create my people as pure delight. I’ll take joy in Jerusalem, take delight in my people:

What do you think?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: