Saturday 16 October 2010

Eat, Pray, Love


We went to watch 'Eat, Pray, Love' last night and to be honest I am a little ambivalent about the movie. It was good just to remind us of our own travels through Italy and India - and to put Bali on our 'To Do' list, but more than that, I am not sure.

As far as capturing the essence of Rome and India the movie is spot on - when the first shot of India bursts onto the screen and Julia Roberts is hanging onto her taxi seat for dear life, that is so real. I laughed at that because India was exactly like that for us - noise, speed, traffic, animals, people, poverty, beauty and humidity!

Apparently Julia has converted to Hinduism (since the shooting of the film) and although this is obviously a deeply personal decision for her, the film doesn't make me want to seek the answers in Ganesh and friends. In fact, her search for God could have easily taken her down the path of being a True Christ follower, but that's my biased opinion. For a better review on this you must read the short review in So What?

Oh yes, when we got to the 'love' part of the movie, I had scary flashbacks to Julia Roberts in 'Runaway Bride' - just when Love happens, she bolts out of the relationship. Thankfully it all ends up differently this time.

For me, 'Eat, Pray and Love' could be three words used to describe our desired relationship with Jesus Christ:

1. Fill ourselves with the 'Bread of Life' and God's Word
2. Seek the intimacy of Christ through Prayer
3. Love God and love one another


Just my 5 cents worth!
What are you thinking?

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

2 comments:

T Woznek said...

Good word.

My wife and watched it as we're interested in Eastern thought. I can see how the movie/story touches people, but I think a deeper issue is left unaddressed.

Happiness cannot be found if you lack contentment where you're at. People go off searching when often the answer is at home. Not saying traveling/ new perspectives are wrong. But, they're not the answer either.

Selfishness cannot coexist with love.

Delme Linscott said...

Thanks for those awesome comments. I like you last word "selfishness cannot coexist with love."

Have an awesome day!
Delme