Monday 29 January 2024

Give me, Good Lord


If you were a few days away from your execution, what kind of prayer would you offer up to the Lord. According to tradition, the following words are part of Thomas More's prayer, which he wrote in 1535, just before he was martyred: 

"... give me, good Lord, a humble, lowly, quiet, peaceable, patient, charitable, kind, tender, and pitiful mind with all my works, and all my words, and all my thoughts, to have a taste of Thy holy, blessed Spirit. 

Give me, good Lord, a full faith, a firm hope, and a fervent charity, a love to the good Lord incomparable above the love to myself; and that I love nothing to Thy displeasure, but everything in an order to Thee.

Give me, good Lord, a longing to be with Thee, not for the avoiding of the calamities of this wretched world, nor so much for the avoiding of the pains of purgatory, nor of the pains of hell neither, nor so much for the attaining of the joys of heaven in respect of mine own commodity, as even, for a very love to Thee."

The part of the prayer that really stands out for me today is:

A Full Faith ...
A Firm Hope ...
A Fervent Charity....

What about for you?

Hebrews 5:7 - "During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission."

Living in Grace
D3LM3


No comments: