Saturday 22 July 2023

The gift of walking


A number of people have asked me what I have been doing during my sabbatical. My answer could include a lot of details and personal information, but the one thing I can confirm is this: I have done a lot of walking!

It seems that walking has been very good for my soul and my health. I have covered a lot of distance over the weeks of my sabbatical and each step has brough refreshing to my spirit. Of course, walking does tire you out physically, but it has the marvelous benefit of making you feel more alive and more in tune with God.  

If you enjoy walking, then you will know exactly what I mean - and it seems we are in great company too. Apparently, God was going for a walk in the Garden of Eden when Adam and Eve were busy hiding from him (Genesis 3). Jesus was walking by the shore of Galilee when he encountered James and John (Mark 1).  

Soren Kierkegaard wrote...

“Above all, do not lose your desire to walk: every day I walk myself into a state of wellbeing and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.” 

Other well-known figures who speak highly of walking include: Stephen King, Anne Dillard, Charles Dickens, Bill Bryson, Thomas Jeferson, Hippocrates, and many, many more.

In time, I will share of my walking stories with you all, but in the meantime, may you be blessed! 

Living in Grace

D3LM3





No comments: