Monday 30 May 2022

Haste versus Hurry - is there a difference?



"Though I am always in haste, I am never in a hurry because I never undertake more work than I can go through with calmness of spirit." - John Wesley

I confess that Mr Wesley's words had me scurrying for the dictionary to try and see if there is a difference between 'haste' and 'hurry.' In most of the dictionaries there is very little difference between the two terms, although if I were to try unpack what John Wesley's intention, it could be something like this:

  • To be in haste (urgency of movement) may relate to sharing the Gospel with those in need, fully aware of the time constraints and the urgency of this task. There is no time to waste.

Whereas, when my life is in a hurry, there is a sense of being out of control and perhaps being a little side-tracked by the myriad of tasks on my plate. To hurry is "to do things quicker than normal" - thus implying less focus.

What do you think? If you know a better definition, please let me know. Maybe there is no difference between the 2!?

Anyway .....

My point is this: "We should be in tune with the Holy Spirit as we go about our tasks. He will lead us and give us capacity to complete all the important things in our lives."

Psalm 38:21-22 - Don’t dump me, God; my God, don’t stand me up. Hurry and help me;

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: