Wednesday 25 February 2015

Learning to Surf - Lent #6

Over the last two years the boys have really enjoyed their surfing. They have learnt remarkably quickly for kids who only get to the beach every now and then. One day when I was watching them stand up on their boards I thought to myself, "That looks ok - I am sure that I can do it!"

Well, needless to say, I wasn't that great at it the first couple of tries. I can honestly say that I managed to surf for 2 seconds and then I had a spectacular wipe out. In my defence, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

I am convinced that kids learn things much easier than adults - this applies to all kinds of things - learning to swim, ride a bike, a new language, and of course surfing!So then the same applies to spiritual matters. The younger we can teach kids the ways of God and the scriptures the better. We should pass on the wisdom of God and the grace of Jesus to our kids while they are still willing to receive it.

For this reason, I love the following words of Solomon. He speaks so much sense:

Listen, my sons, to a father’s instruction;
    pay attention and gain understanding.
I give you sound learning,
    so do not forsake my teaching.
For I too was a son to my father,
    still tender, and cherished by my mother.
Then he taught me, and he said to me,
    “Take hold of my words with all your heart;
    keep my commands, and you will live.
Get wisdom, get understanding;
    do not forget my words or turn away from them.
Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
    love her, and she will watch over you.
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom.
    Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
Cherish her, and she will exalt you;
    embrace her, and she will honor you.
She will give you a garland to grace your head
    and present you with a glorious crown.”

10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
    and the years of your life will be many.
11 I instruct you in the way of wisdom
    and lead you along straight paths.
12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
    when you run, you will not stumble.
13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
    guard it well, for it is your life. - Proverbs 4:1-13

God bless you,
Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: