Monday 12 July 2010

Back to school blues

A sudden quietness has fallen upon our household. The boys realise that school starts tomorrow and they are not convinced about going back. I think that returning to school or work, after a holiday, has to rate as something that most people dread. No wonder they called it 'back to school blues!'

Of course, we know that a day or two down the line, everything would have settled back into routine and another term will be in full swing, but it's hard to remember that.

As much as I love holidays, I also think that routine is important for us. I believe that it helps us to keep life in balance and to accomplish our tasks. If you like, routine is as important to us, as seasons are to our planet. We don't always fully appreciate different seasons (or routine for that matter), but they remind us we are part of something bigger than ourselves.

On a Spiritual level, routine is imperative in our faith. Jesus challenges us to 'daily' renew our relationship with him - there is something about the routine of this that is helpful for us.

Luke 9:23 - "Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.""

This same routine then transfers into our devotions, our worship, our prayers and our Sunday gatherings. Routine keeps us grounded in Christ!

Ok, now that I have convinced myself of the need for routine, I had better get ready for the routine of school-runs, school-lunches, sports events, homework, parents meetings etc. I feel tired just thinking about it!

Anyway, here goes another term...

Be blessed and try and enjoy your routines.

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: