Tuesday 8 March 2022

Steady the knees that give way


How much can we apply today's reading to our own lives and to the circumstances of other people? Take a look at the Isaiah 35:3-4 and see what I mean? 

"Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way;
say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear;
your God will come, he will come with vengeance;
with divine retribution he will come to save you.”

In my opinion, we can all do with hearing the good news that God strengthens our feeble hands and weak knees. These promises certainly apply to our daily trials and challenges. And I am sure that we long to hear the reassuring words "be strong and don't fear!" There is plenty to be make us fearful nowadays, so the words of comfort are much appreciated. 

However, if I were a Christian living in Ukraine right now, would I be tempted to read verse 4 as a prayer to deal with my enemies? Would I hang on these words as a promise that God dishes out divine retribution on our behalf? How much leeway are we allowed in interpreting the Scriptures and then allowing them to speak into our lives? 

I still think it is always best to read the passage understanding these 3 layers:

1. Historical context - who was writing this, why and who was expected to receive the message?
2. What was God's promise to the people, in the era it was written.
3. A future promise and principle for those of us reading this years later. 

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: