Saturday 16 January 2016

Aleph - Psalm 119

If one turns to Psalm 119, we note that it is a long Psalm. It is also a unique Psalm in that it is an acrostic Psalm - this is just fancy way of telling us that every verse of each stanza starts with the same Hebrew letter. So if one reads verses 1-8 below, they would all start with the letter 'A' (aleph) if we were reading it in the original language.

Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
    who walk according to the law of the Lord.
 Blessed are those who keep his statutes
    and seek him with all their heart—
 they do no wrong
    but follow his ways.
 You have laid down precepts
    that are to be fully obeyed.
 Oh, that my ways were steadfast
    in obeying your decrees!
 Then I would not be put to shame
    when I consider all your commands.
 I will praise you with an upright heart
    as I learn your righteous laws.
I will obey your decrees;    do not utterly forsake me.


If we then carry on reading the Psalm we would see that it follows the rest of the Hebrew alphabet through the Psalm.

As I read verses one to eight, of this Psalm, I am stuck by the theme of OBEDIENCE. God calls us to follow him and gives us the choice to do this or not. If we choose to follow his Call, then we do so out of a desire to Obey Jesus. This is not always as easy as it may seem.

How are you finding following God today? Are you willing to Obey his lead?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: